10/03/2012

Those Were The Days, My Friend, We thought...


@TheAirPro                                        BLOG  (5)                                                       10/3/2012



Welcome to @TheAirPro

Those Were The Days, My Friend, We Thought They’d Never End…


Those were the days, oh yes! …when we thought being an Airline Hostess was such a glamorous job!
Forget for one instant that my brains were functioning efficiently and fast, my eyes observing each detail and devouring life with the enthusiasm of a young woman, I was also registering the difference an airline hostess uniform made, not only for my self-esteem, but also for the rest of the world watching me.

I had been trained, groomed, educated to become a …“bird “!
And the results showed…
No matter what or when or where, it was part of the character I always became… each time I endorsed my uniform.
It had the perfect fit to my body, each part of it immaculate and according to regulations.
Including the white cotton gloves and the crew case which had no wheels then, unlike today!

The whole image punctuated with one last touch that I would add, to show my own personality:
The smile, the expression on my face and eyes always alert and ready to give away the intelligence of my spirit, THAT was my contribution…along with my French accent, of course, when I spoke American-English.

A new life was beginning.
From Kansas City to New York, with NYC Kennedy airport for base to TWA’s international operations, I had more or less decided that I would live in Manhattan, as the most logical and practical thing to do and to begin with and Mrs. Destiny answered :

After graduation, on the flight to NYC, it was then a group of five excited young women, including me, knowing we had been assigned to TWA international flights, sharing same base, had agreed upon finding a first place of living, temporarily planting our identical brand -new beige Samsonite suitcases, and rest in between flights.

Those were the days when finding a studio apartment to rent in Manhattan was just a matter of going through the NY Times, let the fingers navigate its real estate listings pages, and apart from the glamour which came with the job, airline hostesses were considered serious and quite capable of meeting their financial obligations.
We knew this was just a first phase that had to be lived through because the demands made upon us, as fresh out-of-training TWA airline hostesses, were strict.

Those were the days when mobile phones hadn’t yet made their entrance… and a private address with a telephone number was mandatory…because we were on a 24h. Stand-by duty.
This meant that we had to be available instantly, ready to dress, in full uniform, with suitcase ready to go, in the space of two hours to step in and replace another hostess who had taken ill!  Without knowing the destination, for how long and with whom we were to work with!

It was not difficult to find the ideal place, exactly the one that would solve the urgent issue of our living conditions: a fully- furnished including telephone and kitchenware, studio apartment, 40sq. m. in a building on East 40th. Street, five minutes to the bus terminal.
Not a skyscraper exactly but still, on the 10th. floor which was high enough.

Those were the days then….when five airline hostesses were to share a studio apartment and had no time to grumble about its size…as there were no alternative, right then.
No ceremony, no house rules per se…because no togetherness.

Those were the days we had to make do and behave like good girls …knowing that privacy could exist. The consolation being that we would never be all at once, together in the apartment…

On Your Marks, Get Set, Ready…. FLYYYYY !




No comments:

Post a Comment